A pet can certainly be the best and worst roommate you’ll ever have. On one hand, a pet is there to greet you at the door and never judges your actions. On the other hand, they require care, devotion, and money. With a green approach to pet ownership, you can save money, protect the environment, and enjoy your pet on more natural terms. Here’s what we mean:
1. Spay and Neuter – A simple surgical procedure can prevent unwanted reproduction in cats and dogs. Many states and counties have established low-cost spay and neuter programs that make surgery easily affordable and accessible. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ® (ASPCA®), the cost to spay or neuter a pet is less than the cost of care for a litter of puppies or kittens for one year.
2. Buy in Bulk – Mostly for dogs, buying in bulk can save hundreds of dollars in trips to the store, reduce waste, and provide a natural and organic option for your pet. Bulk pet food requires a refillable container for storage, eliminating bags and boxes that promote waste, moisture and vermin. Pet food can be purchased in bulk at most pet stores chains, through a farm-feed store, or online for home delivery.
3. Scoop Poop – American dogs and cats create 10 million tons of waste a year. That is why it is so important to use biodegradable bags for your pet droppings, otherwise the poo will live on encased forever in a landfill. If you have the room in your backyard, champion the cause with a pet-waste composter disposal system. This solution protects waterways, landfills, and septic systems from contamination.
4. Grow Catnip – Known as a stimulant for cats, Nepeta Cataria or catnip can also boost feline health. An easy to grow garden herb, catnip provides benefits to both felines and humans. Catnip can reduce feline stress and act as a mild sedative to create a calming effect. In addition, catnip can prevent or relieve a cat’s upset stomach. In humans, catnip tea or tincture can treat and relieve colic and fever.
5. Make DIY Pet Toys – You don’t have to be crafty or artistic to create toys for your pet. If you have a dog who loves to chew, add a few treats to an empty milk jug or water bottle and then insert into an old sock and tie off the end. Watch your dog unfold the mystery of the hidden treat. Cats can be entertained with everyday items like a cardboard toilet paper roll or plastic ring milk jug ring.
Reduce your pet’s carbon paw-print and make their existence as eco-friendly as yours. Going green with your pet doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, it is easier than you think. Start with one simple step and before you know it, you and your pet will make great strides to preserve and protect the planet. Learn more about our local eco-friendly pet parks and activities near Blue Moon Rising Resort.